Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A fairy tale

Friendship isn't always easily described. The Eskimos, they say, have a hundred different words for snow. Unfortunately, the English language isn't quite as innovative, though it has vast opportunities to differentiate meaning. Certainly, Love is one of those opportunities. And so, too, is Friendship.

Well my fairy tale does not begin with the cliche "Once upon a time", while I don't quite recollect the date, nor do I recollect how it all started, but what started as a mere acquaintance out of sheer coincidence, has helped me find a friend. I guess its supposed to be that way… almost always! Ain't it?

Let alone sharing my cell no., email ID, IM IDs, or accepting friends on my friends list on Orkut, as with the Ruffles Lays kid, I believe, "Mom says, 'I shudn't talk to strangers!!'". And I seldom do. So far so good.

I have met many people on the internet, laughed, smiled, and even cried. One particular person, has touched me deeply... I just wanted her to know.

I never came around looking for a single soul.
But now that I found you I want you to know

I had forgotten how to smile, how to laugh, how to be me
I had forgotten the sweet pleasure of a heart filled with glee.

I was intoxicated with life... work and family
Never stopping for fun... it just wasn't there you see.

Since I have found you... it's been a complete turn around
I smile and laugh again... not much gets me down.

I get excited when I see you on Yahoo!
Wondering what it is today we will do...

Chatting, laughing and the games we play
You make my every day!

Two people, destined to meet (I wouldn't wait that long for my enemy as much I waited for you), but the inquisitiveness of knowing the person, yet not knowing and never met was always lingering in my mind. The only driving force that kept me waiting and whiling away time under the scorching sun was certain questions which were unanswered. Yes while I do agree that things weren't as bad as I have projected them here, but they weren't any better. Yea yea, of course, who loves endlessly waiting after all? Mind you I am not complaining.  Human nature, eh! Hmmmm… here I admit that whatever it was, it was well worth the wait.

While the appearance has got very little to do with it (I don't completely strike it off), I was more so intrigued by a rather basic and a simple question, "so does this person really exist?" or is it just my imagination about a non-existant living being. A case of a person whom I met in the virtual world and just lost my way from the real one. Then there was this obvious "what does this person look like?" popping-up.

Staring at each "Taxi" as it went by the domestic barista aka CCD, I had already gulped down a couple of drinks waiting in anticipation expecting the place to be full by lunch time. The college students frequent the place for activities beyond just the appreciation of the brew (homework, gossip, bitching, conspiracy and what not…. all the stuff which I guess I have grown above, prove me wrong!). I guess this is where the gap lies. Something which I would put the blame on to for
finding kiddies hang outs boring and uninteresting. By no means am I a kid now, or am I? Oh really? Yes I think so. And I can't help, but think about it, 'what am I doing here?'

Falling in love over coffee? Young at heart? Informal? Like juke boxes? Traditionally Cafe Coffee Day has always been a meeting place. Why not meet up at the park instead (thats' not my idea either), sit on a bench, and have the industrial sludge (the coffee from a vending machine)? Don't know! Coffee is a culture and best appreciated when freshly ground.

So there I was with a Devil sipping one of her own concoction, topped with yummy whipped cream. Well it was Devils Own after all! Had to be that wee bit special. Conversations and more of em', something other than the mundane studies. While we spoke about colleges for most of the time, I guess we can do better the next time we meet over a gateaux, pastry or something else from a bake-shop.

Learnings from meeting – friends are special people. We can't pick our family, and we're sorely limited in the number of them at any rate. Society and mores (and often our own conscience) dictate we select a single mate. But our friends can be as diverse and infinite as the adjectives we choose. Our friends, in a very real sense, reflect the choices we make in life.

As the Internet grows and becomes a part of our lives, it brings with it a unique opportunity to meet people we likely would never have met in any other way. And very often, those people we meet on line will become friends. Sometimes, very close friends.